We enjoyed a sparkling introduction to healthy eating Caribbean style at March’s Telford & Wrekin WIRE meeting from Simply Good Food TV culinary personality Sabrina Zeif.
She shared with us some of her amazing background and up bringing in Trinidad and Tobago (she calls it TNT) and more about how travelling around the world has added influences to her passion which is sharing with us all the healthy benefits of cooking fresh and adding spice to your life and food!
Something that has made UK food taste incredible over the last decade has been the addition of incredible cooking influences from around the world, just like Sabrina who is from the Caribbean originally but spent a whole lot of time in New Orleans which brings to her food a fusion that is not only unique but utterly delicious.
Feature Article :Tasty & Delicious Healthy Cooking Tips From Sabrina Zeif
During Sabrina’s presentation we were challenged to think about the way (as a nation) we embrace cooking shows as entertainment (and Sabrina is regularly invited to take part in a whole host of then including cooking with the Hairy Bikers and Simply Good Food TV) but how many of us actually buy and cook from fresh?
Is it easy and do we actually make time for it?
Sabrina highlighted a recent quote from the NHS that states“ One in four British adults is obese, according to the UN Food and Agriculture Organisation, prompting fears that the UK has become the “fat man of Europe”.
The UK has the highest level of obesity in Western Europe, ahead of countries such as France, Germany, Spain and Sweden, and the 2013 report says, “Obesity levels in the UK have more than trebled in the last 30 years and, on current estimates, more than half the population could be obese by 2050.”
Sabrina went on to share some simple ideas, that with a little bit of organisation and planning ahead will have you suddenly cooking healthy delicious meals with little stress. Healthy starts with simple home cooked meals.
Planning Your Meals Is Essential To A Healthy Well Balanced Lifestyle : Sabrina’s Top Tips!
Create a Pantry list/ Shopping : keep a template shopping list on refrigerator. Categorise items to minimise shopping time and avoid buying unnecessary items.
Produce /Pantry / Frozen / Supplies/ Refrigerated /Canned /Toiletries
Take 30 minutes to make a weekly meal plan. Make a list of the meals you like or can think of. Check ingredients required, check your pantry stocks. Do one shopping trip. No stress for rest of week as you have a plan.
For busy families have a meal prep time e.g. Sunday evening where vegetables and meats are cut and ready for easy cooking during the week.
SABRINA’S TOP TIPS
- Use recipes as guides, no stress be creative and substitute ingredients for ones you have or like.
- Spices and herbs allow you to be creative and adventurous with your cooking. Cooking with herbs and spices expands your palate without the calories and allows you to decrease the amount of fat, sugar and salt without compromising on flavour.
- Never throw away left over herbs ever again. Chop or blend coriander, parsley, spring onions, thyme etc add to melted butter or olive oil and freeze in ice trays. The cubes can be stored in a zip lock bag. For great flavour add a cube or two to your cooking.
- Make up a variety of sauces in bulk and freeze for no stress cooking.
- Let your oven be your friend. Pop in meats and veg, sprinkle some spices and dash of olive oil. Cover and viola dinner is ready while you unwind from hard day’s work.
- Experiment with making lots of different sauces. Make in bulk and freeze. The same meat and veggies taste completely different with a new sauce on it. Get the family involved.
- Never go grocery shopping on an empty stomach you will splurge on all the wrong things.
- Chilli peppers have been shown to boost fat burning capacity. Add chopped chilli to eggs, meats, burgers, soups etc
Find more of Sabrina’s tasty & delicious recipes on her website Sabrina Zeif.com.
Join Us At Our Next Meeting For A Guaranteed Warm Welcome
Thanks again to our brilliant network leaders Lena Churm, Sandra Owen and Kim Gilmour for making our networking meetings friendly & inspiring and you cannot help but have lots of fun with Lena around! Whichever networking group you love to be a part of, we are all ladies in business together, who can learn from one another and support one another in ways only networking can so. Telford & Wrekin WiRE meet at the Marches Growth Hub at the University of Wolverhampton Telford Innovation Campus on the third Thursday of each month at 9.45am.
Blog written by Diane Cossie – Creative Online Marketing 2017